Dear Wine Specialty Group Members,
The March 2009 AAG annual meeting in Las Vegas was a great success not only because of the large number of our members who attended our sessions but also for the student papers presented, the participants in our wine tasting workshops, and field trip.
As we near the deadline for submitting an abstract for the 2010 AAG Meeting in Washington D.C. (October 28th, 2009) I am writing to inform you of the tentative schedule Percy Dougherty, Greg Jones, and I have discussed and implemented:
- Four paper sessions are scheduled on 4/15 and 4/16/10:
- Wine Regions of the United States;
- Wine and Terroir;
- Wine Regions of the World;
- Sustainable Wine: Carbon Neutrality, Organic, and Biodynamic Production.
- Fieldtrip on 4/17/10 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. to a Virginia Winery located within an hour of Washington. The trip includes a gourmet lunch, a visit to the winery, and wine tasting.
- Dr. Dougherty will present a "Virtual fieldtrip of the wine regions of South America." This workshop will involve the tasting of eight wines on 4/15 from 3-5 p.m.
- Greg Jones, who was voted by the wine industry to Decanter Magazine's 2009 Power List "the world's top 50 most influential people in the industry" and I will present a wine tasting workshop on Bordeaux wines and their American counterparts on 4/16 from 3-5 p.m.
- Our business meeting will take place on 4/16 at 5 p.m.
- We hope to have an additional wine tasting of Virginia wines on 4/15 or 4/17 (Greg Jones is working on it!)
- Dinner of the wine specialty group on 4/16 at 8 p.m.
As we discussed at our business meeting in Las Vegas, we would like to encourage student participation in our paper sessions and will be offering an award for the best papers submitted. The deadline for submitting an abstract is October 28th, 2009.I hope you will announce this to your classes and work with the students to make sure their abstracts are submitted in a timely fashion. (please email me your abstract and PIN number when you submit your abstract Lemaire@rowan.edu)
Please let me know if you would like to be a discussant in one of the sessions.
I look forward to hearing from you and hope we will make our AAG 2010 wine sessions the best attended ever.